Magic Mushroom Grow Kit Instructions
Grow your very own magic mushrooms in about 2 weeks!
Work hygienically at all times!
- Do not breathe or cough inside the bag.
- Always wash your hands and forearms before you start working on your cultivation (we recommend min. 70% Isopropanol)!
- Put the growkit on a clean place, off the floor (e.g. a shelf)
- Check the temperature/humidity with a hygrometer. (optional)
STEP 1: Opening
- Wash your hands and forearms thoroughly to avoid contamination (min. 70% alcohol). Make sure the work environment and surface is clean.
- Optional: place a dark material around the kit but not on the lid to prevent mushrooms growing from the side of your kit. (e.g. duct tape)
- Break of the tab you’ll find on the side of the lid.
- Carefully lift up the lid, and take it off.
- Rinse the lid with water, and keep it clean for later.
STEP 2: Growing
2.1 Place the grow kit without lid in the (supplied) plastic bag. Put the kit inside the bag with the microperforation upside (see picture above). Really make sure that thebag is tightly sealed with the 2 clamps holding the bag in place. The moisture should only get out through the tiny holes. If you have trouble, you can put a rubber band around the kit. Place the kit on a clean, higher location (e.g. a shelf).
Points of importance:
- The grow kit is a living product!
- No direct sunlight! The kit only needs a tiny bit of light once and light that is too bright will stress the kit.
- Suitable temperature: 18 – 30 °C Ideal temperature: 23 °C, try to avoid sudden temperature changes, also at night. OPtional: use a thermo-hygrometer.
- Don’t place on or near a heat source, like a radiator. Don't put it on the floor. Don't put it next to a window or in a drafty, windy or dusty place.
Heating mat (optional)
- Place the plastic bag with the grow kit in it on the heating mat.
- Switch it on.
After 48 hours switch it off and wait until the buds have developed, which usually takes between five and ten days.
- Then switch the heating mat on again and open the top of the bag a little so the moisture can evaporate. Keep it on until the kit is ready for harvest.
- If the buds haven’t developed after ten days, take the mycelium (white matter) out of the plastic box, put it back in the plastic box on its small side and start again at Step 2. Again, turn on the heating mat on for 48 hours and then don’t switch it on again until the buds have developed. Keep it on until the kit is ready for harvest.
2.2 You do not have to air\fan the kit and you don’t have to mist\spray water. You want to see a mist of drops forming on the inside of the bag after about one day. This indicates that the temperature and humidity are good for growing. If there is no mist visible, check that the bag is tight around the kit and that the temperature is not too low. Within about 2 weeks small white knots will form on the mycelium (white substance) in the kit. These knots are a good sign that your fresh mushrooms are on their way (they will form out of those knots)! Besides a daily temperature checkup of your kit, while maintaining good growing conditions (see Points of importance) nothing more needs to be done for now.
2.3 From the moment you see the first small mushrooms (see photo below), you can start to slowly put the bag upright. With progressing growth of your mushrooms, you can give them more space in the bag. Do not put the bag upright to its full extension directly, since this changes the humidity in the kit and aborts the mushrooms (they turn grey and die). Do not water nor fan the kit. Your first magic mushrooms will be ready after about 1-2 weeks from now on.
STEP 3: Harvest
Harvest your mushrooms when the veil on the edges of the cap start tearing a bit. This means the caps are about to open and your mushrooms are at their maximum potency! Check continuously since the mushrooms in this last stage grow quickly (1-2 days)! Don’t hesitate, it’s better to be early than to be late harvesting. Any further growth from the point of breaking the veil will only accumulate water and they will not become more potent. If you can see a black dusting (spores), you’re a bit too late. If you’re late, you can still eat them, but they will start losing potency. When sporing, the mushroom releases enzymes which might hinder the next flush (see step 4).
3.1 Wash your hands and forearms thoroughly (we recommend min. 70% alcohol), and clean your harvesting space. If possible, use a mouth mask and gloves.
3.2 Grab a mushroom(cluster) between fingers and thumb at the base of the mushroom, and gently twist it out. Try to avoid damaging the mycelium (white substance). Moreover, pressing the mushrooms too hard with your fingers results in bruising (blue color will appear). A little bruising is normal, however, try to avoid heavy bruising since this diminishes the potency.
3.3 Harvest all the mushrooms at once, even the grey and small ones. If some mushrooms formed at the sides or the bottom of the box carefully get them out using sterilized tweezers. You can carefuly lift the mycelium out of the box if needed (work as sterile as possible). Make sure to harvest all mushrooms, since unharvested mushrooms might rot and contaminate the kit.
STEP 4: Next Flush!
Take the following steps, then proceed by going back to step 2.
4.1 Fill your grow kit with cold tap water.
4.2 Make sure the mycelium is fully submerged.
4.3 Put the clean lid back on. A little water might spill out, which is fine and indicates that the box is fullymsubmerged.
4.4 Keep the kit in the fridge for 12 hours. This is called a “cold shock”. It stimulates the mycelium to start growing again by simulating the change of seasons.
4.5 After the 12 hours, open one corner of the lid and pour out the excess water.
4.6 Make sure it drains ’till the very last drop.
4.7 Remove the lid, but once again keep it.
4.8 Continue back to step 2.
This process can be repeated several times. Keep trying, sometimes there are up to six flushes!
Answers to frequently asked questions about magic mushroom grow kits can be found here: Magic Mushroom Grow Kit FAQ
For further questions about your grow kit, feel free to contact us at: [email protected]
Please include some pictures of the kit.