Magic Mushroom Grow Kit Instructions
Grow your very own magic mushrooms in about 2 weeks!
Work hygienically at all times!
- Do not breathe or cough inside the bag.
- Always wash your hands and forearms before you start working on your cultivation! You may have touched mold, it’s in the air, on pretty much everything and you don’t want it to contaminate your kit.
STEP 1: Opening
- Wash your hands and forearms thoroughly to avoid contamination.
- Optional: place a dark material around the kit but not on the lid to prevent mushrooms growing from the side of your kit. (e.g. duct tape)
- Break of the tab you’ll find on the side of the lid.
- Carefully lift up the lid, and take it off.
- Rinse the lid with water, and keep it clean for later.
STEP 2: Growing
2.1 Place the grow kit without lid in the (supplied) plastic bag. Slide the opening of the bag under the bottom with the micro perforation at the top. Really make sure that the bag is tight around the kit to trap most of the moisture in the bag and the moisture can only get out through the tiny holes. If you have trouble, use a rubber band around the kit. You do not have to air the kit and you don't have to spray water. You want to see a mist of drops forming on the inside of the bag after a day or so. This indicates that the temperature and humidity are good for growing. If there is no mist visible, check that the bag is tight around the kit and that the temperature is not too low.
Points of importance:
- No direct sunlight! The kit only needs a tiny bit of light once and light that is too bright will stress the kit.
- Suitable temperature: 18 – 30 °C (Ideal temperature: 23 °C)
- Don’t place on or near a heat source, like a radiator. Don't put it on the floor. Don't put it next to a window or in a drafty or dusty place.
Heating mat (optional)
- Place the plastic bag with the grow kit in it on the heating mat.
- Switch it on.
After 48 hours switch it off and wait until the buds have developed, which usually takes between five and ten days.
- Then switch the heating mat on again and open the top of the bag a little so the moisture can evaporate. Keep it on until the kit is ready for harvest.
- If the buds haven’t developed after ten days, take the mycelium (white matter) out of the plastic box, put it back in the plastic box on its small side and start again at Step 2. Again, turn on the heating mat on for 48 hours and then don’t switch it on again until the buds have developed. Keep it on until the kit is ready for harvest.
2.2 From the moment you see the first buds (see photo below), you can put the bag upright. If your kit is relatively dry, hold off on putting the bag upright and only increase the size of the bag a bit so the mushrooms have room to grow. Don't put the bag upright too early. Do not water. Your first magic mushrooms will be ready after about 1 week.
2.3 In this phase (see photo below), if there are water drops visible in the bag, leave the bag slightly open so that the moisture can evaporate a little. Too much moisture (a bag full of big drops running down) is not good. If there is no mist of drops on the bag at all at this stage, Leave the bag as it is. Your first magic mushrooms are now almost ready. Make sure you harvest before the first spores begin to fall.
STEP 3: Harvest
Harvest your mushrooms when the veil on the edges of the cap start tearing a bit, this means the caps are about to open. Check continuously. When this happens to one or more of them, harvest! Don’t hesitate if you’re not sure. It's better to be early than to be late. If you can see a black dusting (spores), you’re a bit too late. This is a matter of learning and trying. If you’re late, you can still eat them, but they will start losing potency. And because the spores already dropped, your next flush may fail (see step 4).
3.1 Wash your hands and forearms thoroughly.
3.2 Grab a mushroom(cluster) between fingers and thumb at the base of the mushroom(cluster), and gently twist it out. Avoid damaging the mycelium.
3.3 Harvest all the mushrooms, even the small ones. If some mushrooms formed at the sides
or the bottom of the box you get them out using sterilized tweezers or you can lift the mycelium out of the box.
3.4 Never go digging with your hands because you might contaminate the kit for the next flush.
STEP 4: Next Flush!
Take the following steps, then proceed by going back to step 2.
4.1 Fill your grow kit with cold tap water.
4.2 Make sure the mycelium is fully submerged.
4.3 Put the lid back on.
4.4 Keep the kit in the fridge for 12 hours. This is called a “cold shock”. It stimulates
the mycelium to start growing again by simulating the change of seasons.
4.5 After the 12 hours, open one corner of the lid and pour out the excess water.
4.6 Make sure it drains ’till the very last drop.
4.7 Remove the lid, but once again keep it.
4.8 Continue back to step 2.
This process can be repeated several times. Keep trying, sometimes there are up to six flushes!
If you have any questions regarding your grow kit, feel free to contact us at: [email protected]
Please include some pictures of the kit.